Watch how to make red onion and pepper tacos with avocado:
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 4 tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 pack coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely diced
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 750g red onion, cut into strips
- 3 mixed peppers, cut into strips
- 1 avocado, peeled and mashed
- 1 lime
- 6 soft tortilla wraps
- 1 pack feta cheese, optional
1) Add the Avocado to a bowl and mash with a fork or, if you’re able to, you a pestle & mortar. Add a good queeze of lemon and continue to mash.
2) To make the salsa, dice the tomatoes by cutting into 1/4s and then cutting each 1/4 into a dice. Add this to a mixing bowl with the diced brown onion and the chopped corriander. Season with a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of caster sugar. Add a squeeze of lemon.
3) Heat a frying pan and add 2 tbsp of oil, fry the onion until golden, then add the pepper and allow this to colour. Fry these on a high heat, allowing them to colour fast yet still hold some texture. Add the diced chilli and continue to fry for 30 seconds.
4) Remove from the heat and spoon your avocado puree into the centre of the tortilla and spread it out until an inch from the edge of the wrap. Top this with the vegetables in a line through the centre, adding a good couple of spoons of salsa on top of this. Now you can fold this inwards and start to wrap it like a tortilla or fold in half like a taco.