Animal print is a key look for the season. Shown on the AW12 catwalks and seen on style icons like Solange Knowles, catwalk-led prints have crept onto the high street. Limited Collection has turned this wild trend into fashionable but easy-to-wear pieces (like the leopard print skirt above right), meaning we can wear leopard print without feeling like we’ve stepped back into the 1980s!
Weâ€™re probably all guilty of buying a statement item of clothing on impulse, wearing it once and then throwing it to the back of the wardrobe because we feel we can only wear it one way. With bold prints the key is the ability to mix and match. To help you get the most for your money from this key piece, I raided our samples cupboard and borrowed a mannequin to demonstrate 5 ways to wear the Leopard print pencil skirt (Â£35) – a classic, curve-enhancing style for every woman’s wardrobe.
1. Metallic chic:Â Add some sparkle! It may still be summer but that doesnâ€™t mean we donâ€™t want to look glamorous! The print is already your statement piece so remember to keep the sparkle understated. Metallic tones are ideal, keep it lightweight and team with courts for simple evening look.Â Shop Cotton Rich Plain Stretch Top.
2. Working it: Just because itâ€™s a fun print doesnâ€™t restrict you from achieving a smart, sophisticated look for the office. A staple black blazer will always do the trick. Teamed with a neutral tee highlighting colours from the print will allow you to wear this look to the office and last through to the evening. Shop Open Front Blazer.
3. Fluoro fabulous: Fluorescent hues are key to this season’s colour palettes, adding colour to your wardrobe. Why not team these two trends together! Keep to block colours to enable both print and colour to speak for themselves. Shop Sequin Knitted Top.
4. Cosy & feminine: Keep it cosy! You canâ€™t go wrong with a chunky knit. This look teamed with a lightweight blouse, creates smart layering. Mix with nude tights and this look will take you through to winter. ShopÂ Ombre Print Knitted Top andÂ V-Neck Longline Shirt.
5. Go wild: Itâ€™s a fashion myth that you canâ€™t wear animal print from head to toe! Keep it causal with our grey marl cheetah jumper. This is an understated way to finish your wild look, with a big cat on the prowl, creeping across your torso. ShopÂ Cheetah Print Sweat Top.
Once you’ve decided on your look, use accessories and shoes to change up each outfit even more. For example, a striking necklace with either of the fine-knit jumpers finishes things off perfectly, and some simple silver jewellery is just the thing for look 2.
How do you wear animal print? Which of the five outfits would suit your style best? Let me know by leaving a comment below.